I am happy to speak to your group or present (and customize) a workshop. Email me for more information.
We'll learn how to:
SNAG your reader
ACT your character
SHOW your story
SHAKE things up
YOUR voice is critical!
This workshop focuses on the craft of writing and the concrete tools you can use to make your writing more believable, more real, and truly "authentic." We will answer the following questions and do a few fun, easy exercises.
1. What does it mean to be "authentic?" Writing from the heart.
2. What is "grounding?" Setting your stage with the right props.
3. How well do you know your characters? Making characters multi-faceted.
4. How real and believable is your plot? Crafting a story your audience can buy.
5. Have you found your own "voice?" Why voice is critical, and finding yours.
Do you want to write characters that pop right off of the page? Characters you and your readers really care about? We'll talk about how to get in your character's skin and create him or her from the inside out. We'll do some fun, easy exercises while we cover the following elements of "character building:"
1. Your character's history that the reader will never know.
2. What your character looks like physically, including gestures and clothing.
3. Your character's likes and dislikes, quirks and habits, friends and enemies.
4. Living and being your character.
5. Using empathy to get under your character's skin.
6. Your character's driving force (this is usually related to the plot of the story).
Research is critical to writing an authentic story, whether it's a novel or a picture book. We'll talk about a wide variety of research and how it powers your story.
1. Traditional research